JRM curious
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For all things Jonathan Rhys Meyers

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

<-Shelter-<

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Alara
Admin
Alara

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 2:10 pm

The film itself.....errrr....the good bits, for me, were the performances, Jonny is brilliant, alhough they could of done more with his characters. I loove Moore, she is one of my favourite actresses and I liked her brother and daughter and the fact he's a horror movie buff. I grew up on horror films, all the more reason for me to watch 'Shelter'.

The bad side of this film is the story, the writing and the fact the story had more holes than all the cheeses I love in the world.

Firstly, at the beginnig, when Dr. Harding swiftly figures out that Adam is the dominant/host personality she does not attempt to look into HIS life and how he lived but goes on to investigate David's life and death first. That doesn't make much sense because she has all these assumptions why Adam has a second personality (David) but does nothing to investigate if she's basing her assumptions on facts from Adam's life.

Secondly, the old hag lady...why did she curse him if it made him return and kill random people? She seemed to not give a flying fu*k about him rampaging and offing people, and when she cursed him and stuffed him with dirt she was trying to stop him from hurting people, giving false hope and being the hypocrite that he was, lol. Didn't she know what her curse would do? Get your facts haggo before you go all ancient ritual on people, lol. Why didn't she 'just' kill him?

Thirdly, what was his motivation to do what he did? Those people had nothing to do with his death. Over the years he could of collected more souls/personalities why choose the ones he did and not attempt revenge at the old crazy bones and her pretty haired familiar? Seriously pretty hair...when I saw it I got big puppy eyes and mumbled..oh so pretty.... Shocked

If he was supernatural and his body was already dead, how did strangling/stabbing kill him? He was one sexy corpse though. No other undead movie people compare. Very Happy

Soul confusion at the end was confusing and it left me with question marks hanging over my head. As the questions swarmed the credits rolled and I was left mouth open and unsatisfied. But, it wasn't all that bad.

Now, I love horror movies, I laugh at the cheesy ones, old ones give me butterflies in my tummy, I even watch the horribly bad ones just because they tick the box of some old childhood fear and I even let the vampires get away with mobile phones and guns, running around in latex and/or leather; so, compared to all of the horror/suspense films I've watched, 'Shelter' wasn't all that bad...but the writing was. The story sucked and there were too many plot holes that made no sense to me.
Back to top Go down
https://jrmcurious.forumotion.com
Audrey

Audrey

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: Re: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 8:48 pm

I missed the first 'hole' about Dr. Harding not investigating Adam, but David. That is quite a mistake to make.

I didn't understand the cursing either, but then again I guess curses don't make any sense at all, so maybe we shouldn't be looking into that too much. The cursed priest is sheltering non-believers, that's what the curse is making him do. That was probably the hole reasonm of the curse. If I remember correctly, he became a non-believer himself for some reason. Wasn't that the story?

Sorry, I have seen this too long ago. Perhaps I should watch it again and then give a more substantial review.
Back to top Go down
trufa

trufa

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: Re: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 9:18 pm

I donñ´t see Shelter yet sorry i´m a pirate and I only saw some parts of it when I......ok..(you understand me) geek geek geek to see if the sound and the view is good.
One friend saw it and tell ame that the movie in his plot is confused Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad but the performances are great.We talked about Jonny´s performance and she talkef about his tears , and the facility to change the characteristics of the different character... I always admire the actors that can cry in a movie ( well you understand me in the same plane ....no when somebody put two drops of water under your eyes..... lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! ........ )and actors that can fall down well........ Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked and Jonny do this two things good......for me is incredible........ cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Audrey

Audrey

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: Re: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 9:55 pm

Razz tongue He sure had to fall down many times in this movie, Trufa. He did that well. Hope he didn't hurt himself, but I guess we don't need to worry about that too much.

I have watched Shelter again recently and I am afraid I can't give a much better review. It is a bit confusing. I can say that Juliene Moore went to investigate David to prove that he was the taken identity. So perhaps that wasn't really that weird, after all. Still don't understand the cursing and didn't become much clearer in a second viewing either. But like I said, generally cursing don't really make any sense.

On a happier note, I read the Shelter will be available on DVD in January, at least in the Netherlands. I believe you can pre-order at www.bol.com. Sorry site is only in Dutch language, I believe. Don't know which languages they would have subtitles, Dutch off course and probably French as well. That's often all, but sometimes, they also have Spanish subtitles. I will order the DVD when it's available and let you know which subs. The store only mentioned Dutch as subtitles, but can't believe that's true. They practically always have French as well, as most DVD's that are sold in the Netherlands are also sold in Belgium where they speak both Dutch and French (and German, but nobody seems to care about that).
Back to top Go down
kyra

kyra

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: Re: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 4:34 pm

I just have seen the film today... don't know what to tell. Not my kind of movie, but wanted to see JRM, I am now in a search for as many of his films. He and Juliane Moore are ok, but the subject... just watched the movie for him, he looks frightening here, so I prefer him in Matchpoint and The Tudors, till now.
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: Re: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 6:20 am

I found this very good news on the Internet. Here is the link. sunny sunny sunny

http://horror.about.com/b/2013/02/08/long-delayed-shelter-finally-gets-a-release-date-and-a-new-title-6-souls.htm
Back to top Go down
Audrey

Audrey

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: Re: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 8:58 am

Good for fans in the US. I already have it on dvd. And good for Jonny, more exposure for Jonny in the US. He's good in it. Movie is not perfect, if that even exists, but it has got very good acting from all cast.
Back to top Go down
Audrey

Audrey

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: Re: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 10:49 am

A review of Shelter with good words for Jonny.

http://www.fangoria.com/index.php/reviews/movies/8673-6-souls-movie-review

And an interview with Julianne Moore in which she also talks about working with Jonny, and nice words it are.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/64205/indie-horror-month-exclusive-julianne-moore-discusses-indie-thriller-6-souls-carrie-and-m

Back to top Go down
Audrey

Audrey

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: Re: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 11:01 am

Two more interviews on Shelter. Nice reads and great words for Jonny again. Rightly so, I might add.

http://dailydead.com/exclusive-michael-cooney-talks-6-souls/

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/64205/indie-horror-month-exclusive-julianne-moore-discusses-indie-thriller-6-souls-carrie-and-m
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: Re: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 2:59 am

All these items, confirm what we already know, about the great talent of Jonny, and his natural ability, to develop his characters. I'm proud. sunny sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: Re: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 5:28 pm

In this interview, Michael Cooney, talks again, about the performance of Jonny. Very beautiful words of his talent as an actor. king king king

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/64429/indie-horror-month-exclusive-6-souls-writer-michael-cooney-talks-multiple-personalities-s
Back to top Go down
Audrey

Audrey

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: Re: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Another review for 6 Souls. Very good comments for Jonny again as well.

http://www.yourentertainmentcorner.com/2013/03/lost-your-faith-dont-watch-alone-movie-review-6-souls-julianne-moore-jonathan-rhys-meyers/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Back to top Go down
Audrey

Audrey

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: Re: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 8:51 pm

An interview with Frances Conroy, who played in Shelter as well. Don't know which role exactly, but I think the mother of David.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/173225-shock-interview-6-souls-frances-conroy#.UVtavo7Lxu9.twitter
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

<-Shelter-< Empty
PostSubject: Re: <-Shelter-<   <-Shelter-< Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

<-Shelter-<
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
JRM curious :: All things Jonathan :: Films, TV, Theatre-
Jump to: